Mavis is the daughter of actress Alfre Woodard and writer/producer Roderick Spencer.
Mavis, born on June 13th, 1991, is a nationally ranked equestrian.
She is a very accomplished show jumper who won the Silver Medal at the Australian Youth Olympic Festival (2009) on a borrowed horse named Jencoyeh. However, most of her brilliant performances have been astride her own equally talented 11 year old Belgian Warmblood mare, Winia Van’t Vennehof.
According to JustWorldInternational , “Mavis Spencer began riding with coaches Dick Carvin and Susie Schroer in 2000. Under their tutelage, Mavis has advanced from the three-foot equitation division to competing in the 2008 Adequan/ USEF National Junior Jumper Championship in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, where she won Team and Individual Silver medals and was honored with the William C. Steinkraus Style of Riding Award.” She also recently participated in the Australian Youth Olympic Festival in Sydney, Australia.
From Town & Country Magazine – Aug 2012:
Riding Since: 1994.
Primary Horse: Valentino, a 10-year-old Dutch Warmblood.
Stables: Kent Farrington LLC, Wellington, FL.
Parents: Her mother, Alfre Woodard, is an Emmy and Golden Globe-winning actess. Her father, Roderick Spencer, is a screenwriter and producer.
Read more: http://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/sporting/famous-equestrians-Paige-Johnson#ixzz2fuGmcUqb
Winia Van’t Vennehof, in a mild snaffle bit and doesn’t
clamp her horse’s mouth shut with a tight flash noseband
or tie her head down with a martingale.At the 2010 Golden Globes with her supportive parents
Roderick Spencer & Alfre Woodard
- Working for Darragh Kenny and Oakland Ventures LLC
- United States team member at 2009 Australian Youth Olympic Festival, Sydney, Australia.
- 4th Team, Australian Youth Olympic Festival, Sydney, AUS
- 1st High Jr./Am.-Owner Champion, Sacramento International, CA Winia van’t Vennehof
- 1st $25,000 High Jr./Am.-Owner Classic, Sacramento International, CA
- Winia van’t Vennehof William C. Steinkraus Style of Riding Award, Harrisburg, PA
- Silver Individual, USEF National Junior Jumper Championship, Harrisburg, PA
- Winia van’t Vennehof Silver Team, USEF National Junior Jumper Championship, Harrisburg, PA
- Winia van’t Vennehof 1st USEF Show Jumping Talent Search, Showpark Summer Classic, CA
Mavis began her equestrian career at age five, riding with Judge My Ride’s own Rob Gage. Mavis has impressively secured positions on several US Young Riders teams amid a vastly competitive field. In conjunction with her riding pursuits, Mavis is in attendance at Columbia University in New York City and, on occasion, enjoys modeling for various fashion publications. You may have seen her featured in both Teen Vogue and In Style magazines. As a result of her selection as Miss Golden Globe 2010, Mavis was featured as one of People magazines’ top 100 most beautiful people.
Source: Style My Ride